Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Nothing Strange Here

This post is part of the 2013 Think Kit Challenge, a blogging project by SmallBox. 

I managed to make it through day 2 of this challenge without missing a beat. Day 3 got a little delayed. What do you think happened when I walked away from my laptop about 10:00 p.m. to watch the news. You guessed it! I woke up in Day 4. I felt I needed to think about how I would present the strangest thing I have seen in 2013 and still appear to be at least a little normal.


Facebook did this to me. I have friends from all walks of life on Facebook. I have friends from childhood, friends from college, friends that I have met once, and friends that I see every day. I enjoy the variety of posts that I see when I get up in the morning and hit that page. I usually check it again before I lay down at night just to make sure that all is well. I did that about a week ago and that is where everything got strange.


There on my Facebook news feed was a picture that is forever burned in my brain now. Thanks friend! I won't call you out, but you know who you are. Anyone ever heard of Victorian post-mortem photography? I won't link to it here, but I know you just have to go look. There amoungst otherwise harmless pictures of babies and pets was a picture of a child, perhaps 3 years old with eyes that were VERY open standing in front of an older lady who was already quite decomposed.


The discussion that followed was something like this:


"That poor child looks scared to death?

     "That child is dead. His eyes are painted on his eyelids."
"The old lady is obviously dead."
     "Yep, I think they dug her up for the picture."

Good Night! And Sweet Dreams.


No comments: